Friday, November 16, 2012

When Risks Pay Off and What Would You Do With Ten Days of No Obligations

A couple weeks ago, I took a huge risk. I put notice in at my job without having another lined up. My co-workers were shocked and in this economy, I don't blame them. Even living in an area with the lowest unemployment rate in the country, it isn't the best idea. However, that's the point I hit and this had been discussed to death with Chad over whether it could be done. I wasn't worried at all and really wouldn't have been worried until deep into December when my safety dwindled.

It turns out that by taking this risk is what lead me to getting a new job. Through a contact in the industry I work in, I was brought in to meet his boss and this week an offer was made and accepted. And as a bonus, I don't start until after Thanksgiving so I get a ten day vacation. I'm excited to start my new position and that taking a chance paid off in a good way. Of course, I am sad to have left my old employer and saying goodbye isn't my favorite thing to do. This is pretty much how I felt yesterday:


On to my ten day break. What would you do with all that free time? Traveling is out so I plan on spending my time catching up with everything: housework, friendships, and creative pursuits. Aside from Thanksgiving Day, I don't have any obligations.

My plans include finishing the reorganization of my creative spaces, finishing a quilt top and maybe two, finishing one or two knit projects, taking photographs of any lingering FOs, many walks with my dogs, and giving our house a deep clean. There is also an afternoon spent with a friend to look forward to and lots of time with Chad.

Once I start my new job, I will be gaining 20 hours a week compared to my previous job. That's a lot of time to be doing the things I love, which means I will be around here more often than I have been. Boy have I missed sharing what I'm doing and seeing what you are up to.

So my question to you today is, what would you do with all this free time?

3 comments:

Diane-crewe said...

well done on taking a risk... that paid off x spend the time having some "me" time and doing what makes your heart sing xx

Toni said...

Sounds to me like you have a pretty good plan! Enjoy your time off and congratulations on the new job!

Cindy Sharp said...

First, I would congratulate my bloging friend on her new position! Well done. After that I'm not sure.