Sunday, October 2, 2011

Introducing Cheeto

I am very happy that I was able to finish my ceramics project yesterday. For those that have been following me, you may remember I posted a sketch of him a couple weeks ago. For those who are new here, our current project is to make an animal hybrid using at least two different animals. We could pick anything and blend them as we see fit. I choose to use a cheetah and a hippopotamus.



Cheeto

Cheeto is the love-child of my two animals. In addition to building this piece, I also have to put the finishing touches on the story of his creation, another required bit. We read our rough drafts in class last week and there were some, um, interesting stories out there. Not that mine isn't. I mean, it involves a desperate cheetah who wants a friend, comes upon a hippo who she challenges to race her, and he ends up seducing her, thus producing this creature.

He is far from perfect. I am not a born ceramist, nor is it my preferred medium. I haven't even touched much clay since I was in high school in the late 1990's. Regardless, I am proud of him and impressed that I was able to make something so large and have it stay together. I'm not in the clear completely because he still needs to make it through the kiln.

If he survives, I will share what he looks like once he is glazed.

I hope this Sunday finds you all well. I have some housework to catch up on, a little homework to do, and the desire to have a date with my sewing machine tonight.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd love it for the name alone, but he's adorable, too. Good luck with the kiln - I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Kelli Fannin Quilts said...

Can't wait to see him finished. So cute. Hope he turns out!

Sana Saroti said...

Katie, looks good so far! How big is it? Love the front paws! They look too cute with that head.