Friday, October 7, 2011

Fall Has Arrived

Even though the temperatures are not cooling off too much, Mother Nature sure got the word out to the trees that it's fall. Please note, I am not complaining about the warmth. It was almost 90 degrees yesterday, which is not normal for October in my neck of the woods. Soon enough, all I will see for months is white and gray, and temps will hover around 0. Yes, the stories you may have heard about Minnesota and North Dakota are mostly true.

I digress.

Last weekend I cut down my sunflowers so I could let them dry out a bit before extracting the seeds. I got it into my head to take some pictures of them or sketch them before I dispose of them. Then, on my walk from class one earlier this week, I noticed some vibrant red-ish leaves that I just couldn't leave behind. So I plucked those up to bring home with me and record their coloring. I put the two items together into this photo.


Fall

I love all of the colors here. This would make a great palette for a new project.


Fall



I just love this red with a hint of orange. And the worn wood of our deck just fits this season.


Tomorrow I am planning on paying a visit to Maplewood State Park in Minnesota. It's full of sugar maples and is just majestic this time of year. I also want to try to hunt down some of the gnome homes an artist placed around the park, if they still exist. I think it's been almost 15 years since I've been to this particular park. I will share what I record if I do make the trip. Jameson and Angus will be joining me as well, which will be their first experience in thick woods.


Happy Friday to everyone!

3 comments:

Sana Saroti said...

I always feel like fall is trying to hypnotize us with its beautiful colors so we make it through the black and white winter. I love fall when it's not raining and I love Halloween. I hate November but there is something to love about every season. Have fun at the park. Hope you'll find the gnome houses!

Toni said...

I love the idea of using that picture as inspiration for a new project. Fall is without a doubt my favorite time of year, but it's hard not to think about the upcoming gloom of winter. Have fun at the park, sounds cool!

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

I love the way those colurs go together :)