Monday, December 31, 2012

2012 Goals Recap

This is going to be a quick rundown of the goals I set for myself at the beginning of the year. I have had so many changes over the past year; going from a full time college student to unexpectedly having to work full time instead, working way too many hours a week, to finally finding a good balance.

The original post is here, if you are curious to read more detail.

1. Buy less fabric.

This was achieved mainly because I starting knitting more than sewing and bought yarn instead. Heh.

2. Experiment with dyeing and printing.

So-so. I wanted to get into this more over the summer but time got away from me. I did paint fabric and turn that into sewn items, however. I am counting this one as a half victory (for now).

Painting Final

3. Dive into art quilting.

Another one that I just dipped my toes into. I took advantage of my upper level art classes to try out some of these goals. This is my favorite mixed media piece (fabric and paper).

View Outside

4. Expand knitting techniques.

This was so vague that I'm surprised I managed it. Concrete goals from now on! As it is, I did accomplish this. I knit a toy, lace, basic colorwork, used a provisional cast on and kitchener stitch. I also learned short row shaping and completed a project with the yarn held double. I really have Camp Loopy to thank for the push because before the summer, I only knit casually. I wasn't pushing myself on my own and having a challenge really helped launch my learning and bring my knitting to another level.

Piper's Journey

5. Transfer photographs to fabric and combine it with sewing.

I did this a little bit in my advanced photography class. I want to revisit this again in the future.

Self Portrait

6. Make more clothing.

I sewed two tops this year. More than before, yes, but not what I was thinking. It's a start though.

Finished Top

7. Sketch daily.

FAIL. (And a little unrealistic with my schedule.)

8. Start selling pattern or things I have made.

Didn't happen and I am really ok with it. This would have added another level of craziness to my life. Maybe in the future.

9. Start weaving.

I've touched my basic loom only to move it around my creative space.

10. Learn leather tooling (nope!), spinning (nope!), paper cutting (one time), enameling (nope!), and felting (nope!).`

Papercutting

Tomorrow I will share my goals for 2013. Here's to a great new year for us all!

1 comment:

Pam @Threading My Way said...

You've achieved a lot, Katie! How did you transfer the photos to fabric? I'm thinking of making a memory quilt later in the year.